Thoughts during the Cambridge MBA

Google

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The movie 300 is racist and completly innacurate

Hey Folks,

I havent posted anything for long, I guess I was tied to my inital theme so I have just decided to ditch it and star anew.

First of all don't see the 300. Its a highly racist and falsified story, with gaps in its storyline.
Let me just list out some of the things

1)In the movie the Spartans are shown to be free men and the Persians are shown to have a slave army. As per history it was the exact opposite, The Spartans enslaved people called the "herlots' and 900 of them died fighting alongside the 300. As for the Persians Xerxes's faher had declared slavery illegal all over the Persina empire.(In Sprta 90% of the populaion was made of slaves)

2) Size of the force. As per the hstorians the Greek army was made up of atleast 5000 soldiers, but in the movie they are shown as just a handfull.

3) The movie glorifies the Agoge system, in which a 7 year old child is taken from his mother and put into a military academy. It did exist but future Kings were not allowed to take part in it. So the whole Leonardes(Kings) episode was a creative licence

4) Ending of the Agoge: The movie shows the end of the Agoge by a wolf hunt in the wild, as per history it was concluded by murdering any Spartan slave i.e the "Herlots"

5) On a more generalistic sense the Movie is extremely racists as it atempts to vilify the Persians and then changes their skin color to Black, implying that Blacks attacked the Whites and the Blacks were evil.

Personally I have never seen a more villified campaign against any community.

-Amit

8 Comments:

  • I personally enjoyed 300, and believe me I am very picky about what films I think our enjoyable. I also understand how you could be offended by the inaccuracies of the film, but the film was not a history lesson in anyway and was never meant to be. I think the filmmakers made an honest effort to enforce that the story was based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller and not a historical text. I don't think a person walks away feeling enlightened about the history of Spartans, but more about how awesome the graphics and cinematography were and how they were able to bring a graphic novel to life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, April 09, 2007 12:11:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Karthik J, at Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:15:00 PM  

  • Hi Amit,
    I tracked your blog down from pagalguy. I am a marketing manager with the Consumer Electronics & Mobile Solutions vertical in Wipro. I'd like to know more about the Judge MBA...especially the placement scene for former techies. Are there options to shift into the Venture Capital sector?
    Kindly mail me at karthik.aj@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Karthik

    By Blogger Karthik J, at Saturday, May 12, 2007 7:24:00 PM  

  • Hi Amit,
    Hope you are a terrific time at Cambridge. I am a prospective Cam. MBA applicant for next year's intake. My brief profile is as below:
    Male/31/Undergrad top college India/10 years of work-ex.(6 years internation)/730,6.0/Indian citizen, Australian Permanent resident.
    I have some queries regarding Judge MBA in perspective of Inidan, IT , Male candidates. Could you plz. send you e-mail id to me at kumarm75@gmail.com? I can put my queries to you then.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    -Kumar

    By Blogger Unknown, at Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:03:00 AM  

  • FINALLY! somebody who sees through the sham that is 300! i thought i was the only one who hated the movie and all it tried to propagate. it is a shining example of how slick graphics and rippling muscles can easily overshadow a poor plot, complete disregard to history and blatant jingoism.

    By Blogger Gypsy, at Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:38:00 PM  

  • Hi Amit, could you drop me a blank email on vayyar@gmail.com ? Would like some inputs from you about Oxford vs Cambridge... Thanks!

    By Blogger Vijay Ayyar, at Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:10:00 AM  

  • I liked your research and reasoning... actually I discovered some of the things after doing intensive research online, but I did it for my own satisfaction and never published it. I like your entry.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Saturday, March 06, 2010 1:01:00 AM  

  • Lastly, on my other (overall) expectations. Well, here I must say, all of my expectations have been exceeded by far. The MBA year was fabulous

    webdesign

    By Blogger ashley, at Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google